Petty is at the intersection of Farm roads 1328 and 1317, eighteen miles northwest of Tahoka in northwestern Lynn County. It developed around 1900 as a result of the ranching and farming operations of W. T. (Bill) Petty, a Lynn County pioneer rancher and the manager of the T Bar Ranch. In 1917 a school district was formed, but growth was slow. By 1948 Petty had four businesses, a school, and a population of thirty. Its population was estimated at 100 in 1960. In 1974 the only remaining business was a cotton gin. From 1972 to 1990 the population of Petty was estimated at twenty-four.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Donald R. Abbe, The History of Lynn County (M.A. thesis, Texas Tech University, 1974).Donald R. Abbe